Themes, streams and workshops
- Innovation & Intervention, Environment & Equity: the evolution of healthcare
Special opening night event
- Brain & Biome: the two hottest topics in science and medicine come together for one special evening
Streams (Main Conference)
- Reversing type 2 diabetes, overweight, risk factors and metabolic dysfunction
- Microbiome and health tech: Emerging science, innovation and application
- Mental health: Mood disorders, emotional wellbeing and more
Scientific abstracts – short oral and poster presentations
- Scientific abstracts will be integrated into the three main conference streams
Workshop sessions (Pre-conference and Main conference)
There will be nine 2 hour workshop-style sessions on the Friday (pre-conference workshops) and also six 90 minute workshop sessions on the Saturday and Sunday. In total there are 15 workshop sessions to choose from, including topics such as:
- Facilitating health behaviour change with an introduction to FACT! (Friday)
- Brave new world: Innovation and health tech as a response to the chronic disease epidemic. (Friday)
- Healthy Conversation Skills: training for practitioners as agents of change. (Friday)
- What works for weight loss and type 2 diabetes? LCHF, Keto, WFPB, intermittent fasting? What to believe? (Friday)
- Culture as medicine: is ‘health equity’ a contradiction in terms?’ Using culture to redress the balance. (Friday)
- Dietary interventions for personal and planetary health: Mediterranean, DASH, WFPB – WTF to make of it all! (Friday)
- Novel Lifestyle Medicine interventions for mental health: Harnessing the 4 Elements. (Friday)
- Shared Medical Appointments (SMAs) as an innovative process in Lifestyle Medicine. (Friday)
- Lifestyle intervention in the community: the Comprehensive Health Improvement Program (CHIP). (Friday)
- Patients don’t want to change – or do they? A health coaching primer for practitioners. (Saturday)
- I offer food in my hands – healing through food: A primary care approach. (Saturday)
- Introduction to Nutritional Psychiatry for health professionals. (Saturday)
- Lifestyle Medicine in clinical and community practice: tales from the trenches. (Sunday)
- Culture as medicine: understanding the role of meaning, purpose, culture and identity. (Sunday)
- Physician heal thyself – how caring for the physician facilitates care of the patient (Sunday)
Importantly, we film all the concurrent sessions (where possible) and make them available to delegates on our website later – which means you get to see everything from the days you were registered for, not just the streams you actually attended.
Board Certification exam (Post-conference)
The International Board Certification exam will also be held on Monday morning between 9am and 1pm. More here.
The overarching theme of Lifestyle Medicine 2019 is, ‘Innovation & Intervention, Environment & Equity’.
No longer can we be satisfied with treatment as usual when the science demonstrates that practitioner-led intervention and community-based programs can be highly effective, and that reversal of chronic diseases through the modification of behavioural, lifestyle and environmental factors is not only possible, but a practical reality.
Unfortunately, obesity is still on the rise with over half our population now overweight or obese, including our children, driven by overconsumption and under activity, environmental, societal and other influences. Likewise for metabolic dysfunction, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular risk factors, cognitive decline and dementia.
The solution lies in modifying those factors, ideally at the level of society and environment, and through ‘real world’ interventions and programs that operate effectively in public health, community, clinical practice and in the social context of everyday life.
Advances in lifestyle intervention and programs to achieve sustainable weight loss, blood sugar control, lower blood pressure, improve metabolic function and support mental health have provided a unique opportunity to do just that in this new age of high-tech, genomic and personalised medicine.
Lifestyle Medicine 2019 will bring these themes together with focus on health equity and the environment, innovative policy and practical intervention.
If you support a comprehensive approach to the chronic and lifestyle-related disease problem and want to be part of something bigger, join the discipline that is also an international movement for change in healthcare!